[Wien] Low cpu usage on open-mosix Linux cluster

EB Lombardi lombaeb at science.unisa.ac.za
Tue Oct 19 12:31:58 CEST 2004

Dear Dr Andersen

Thank you for your e-mail

Up to now I have been using the NFS mounted "case" directory as working
directory - so what you wrote about NFS mounted scratch directories also
applies here.
To check, I ran a test with Wien running only on the home node (i.e no
slow networks involved), which resulted in both lapw1 and lapw2 running
at 99%.

I have a question regarding local scratch partitions: when lapw1 has run
on dual processor nodes 1 and 2 (ie k-point parallel over 4 processors),
leaving case.vector_1 & vector_2 on the scratch partition of node 1,
while vector_3 and vector_4 are left on node 2. When lapw2 runs, it
cannot be guaranteed that lapw2 processes will be distributed among the
nodes in the same order as lapw1 was.  Hence the "first" lapw2 job may
well run on node 2, but will not find case.vector_1 there. I assume this
would lead lapw2 to crash? If this is so, is there any way to work
around this?

About the configuration of the machine: it is a group of dual processor
PIII, PIV and Xeon machines, grouped together as a mosix cluster using
Linux version 2.4.22-openmosix2smp. Each node has 4GB RAM, with an NFS
mounted file system.

Thank you.

Best regards

Enrico