[Wien] Problems with PORT minimization!

L. D. Marks L-marks at northwestern.edu
Tue Oct 19 14:55:14 CEST 2004

What seems to have happened is that the calculations have not correctly
converged, even though you are using -cc 0.0001 first before moving to
forces. I've seen this myself in some cases. The culprit appears to be
the 4th step which gave you an energy of -80.215020. Please check:
	a) That the energy is converged (testconv). Unfortunately you can
get apparently converged forces without having the energy converged.
	b) That :PLA is small (0.00001 or better), use grep -e :PLA on
case.scf
	c) That vox (exchange-correllation potential) is small at Z=0,
using grep -e VZERO on case.scf and/or case.scf0. If not, you probably
have a false convergence. (This is for the cell you've chosen; if it was
moved to about the origin it would be at Z=0.5 that you'd check.)
	d) RKMAX & GMAX are OK. I commonly use GMAX 18 since this is
CPU-cheap. Your RKMAX of 3.9 looks small to me. (N.B., RKMAX also effects
vox.)
	e) Your RMT's are OK. 1 for O looks small, but might be OK. I
assume you don't have ghost-bands.
	f) Do a grep -e :NEC case.scf and check that the number on the
right is 1.00000 (or very close). If not, your RMT's are not right and you
can be losing core charge which can perturb the calculations.
	g) That the physics of the calculation is correct. I've noticed
that better posed calculations (i.e. spin-polarized) often converge
better.
	h) That you have a reasonable number of k-points.

For reference, a script I use to ensure convergence for a spin-polarized
calculation would be:
#!/bin/csh
runsp_lapw -I -i 80 -p -cc 0.01
runsp_lapw -I -i 80 -p -cc 0.0001 -in1new 1
runsp_lapw -I -i 80 -p -ec 0.000025  -in1new 1
runsp_lapw -I -fc 0.25 -p -i 80 -in1new 1

mailto:L-marks at northwestern.edu
http://www.numis.northwestern.edu