[Wien] Supercell setup

Peter Blaha pblaha at zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Tue Oct 26 09:24:18 CEST 2004

supercell does not support R lattices.
R lattices span usually a very "lenghty" unit cell. By simply taking some
multiplicity of the R basis vectors, you would generate a fairly
1D-system providing eg. a very special "ordering" along one direction, but
certainly not a good 3D distribution.
Thus you should think (and visualize) how a supercell would distribute
your Mn/Ni atoms.
A good beginning is to transfer R into a H lattice (see the Int.Tables of
Cryst. for details). This is already a 3 times
larger unit cell and probably a better start for a supercell with a
regular distribution.

 > I have a very basic question concerning the
supercell setup.