[Wien] Q: symmetso - B type symmetries

jan kunes kunes at yammer.ucdavis.edu
Wed Sep 8 21:38:35 CEST 2004

Dear Eeuwe,

I do not use symmetso myself, but can say something about how the files
shouls look like. The main problem with the case you mentioned
(SOC+polarization-inversion) is that the k-space and real space point
groups are not identical. Therefore when you generate your klist you need
different set of symmetry operations (case.struct) than that you use in
lapw1, lapw2, lapw2. The procedure is as follows.
(1) You find the crystallographic symmetry (x symmetry)
(2) You find how the symmetry is reduced by the presence of uniaxial
field (this depends on the direction of the magnetization definned in
case.inso)-at this point you do not distiguish between time-even (e.g.
uniaxial pressure) and time-odd (magnetic, exchange) fields. This comes in
the next step.
(3) Now, because the exchange field (unlike uniaxial pressure) has also
orientation the symmetry operations which change its sign are not
symmetries of the system. However, if you add time inversion (complex
conjugation) to these rotations the composite operation is the symmetry of
the hamiltonian. This is taken care of in places where necesary in the
codes (e.g. qtl, optic or lapwdm) and has not to be specified explicitely
in the inputs.
(4) If you apply complex conjugation to a Bloch function you change the
sign of the corresponding k vector, i.e. in k-space the time inversion is
represented by inversion. This means that to all the rotations, to which
you have added complex conjugation, inversion should be added when
k-space symmetry is involved. In the wien code this happens only when you
generate the klist.

I hope this could help a bit although I know that it is not very
comprehensive.

Jan