[Wien] setup of slab calculation

Fred Nastos nastos at physics.utoronto.ca
Wed Sep 15 01:03:38 CEST 2004

Hi,

I am certain these have been asked before, but I looked through the archives
and could not find the answer.

Q1) The .struct file has to have the coordinates specified as positive ratios
of the unit cell parameters, i.e. they are relative to the unit cell
parameters.  If I am doing the slab calculation, and I want to increase the
amount of vacuum, that makes one of my cell parameters larger.  Does that
mean I need to change the relative coordinates of the atoms by hand?  I could
write something to do this, but is there some utility that does that
allready?  Or, am I totally out to lunch on this?

Q2) I made a struct file for a supercell without specifying any symmetry
matrices.  When I tried to initialize my calculation, the sgroup program
changed my choice of axis, and gave me a new struct file.  My "growth axis",
which was originally in the z-direction, was changed to be along the
x-direction.

I know that accepting the changes works fine [1], and I can live with the
changes, but is it possible to neglect the warnings and run the code with my
original choice of axes?  I would guess that I just need to be careful about
the symmetry matrices I provide at the end of the struct file, no?

Thank you for your time.

[1] I verified that the WIEN code results from the modified structure file
(the band structure, the linear optics, etc..) were comparable to those from
a pseudopotential code which doesn't change the axes choice.