[Wien] How close to overlapping RMT's is too close?

Stefaan Cottenier Stefaan.Cottenier at fys.kuleuven.ac.be
Mon Sep 20 16:20:39 CEST 2004

> I have indications from a minimization that the energy/forces can be
> slightly inconsistent if two atoms are too close but still far
> enough
> apart that the RMT's are not overlapping. Has anyone else noticed
> this?

Some years ago, I calculated the total energy of a simple compound
(without forces) as a function of volume, and this with two different
Rmt's. With the smallest Rmt, smaller volumes could be done. In the
volume range where there were data for both Rmt's, total energies were
identical (apart from a small shift), except for the small region
where the Rmt's of the series with largest Rmt were just not yet
overlapping: there the total energy clearly deviated. Hence, I can
confirm your observation: very close to overlap, some quantities
become unreliable (which is not too surprizing). How close to overlap
the problem occurred in my case, I do not remember. But definitely the
two sphere surfaces were closer than 0.1 au, probably 0.05 au or so.

Stefaan