[Wien] magnetc moment

Andrei Postnikov apostnik at uni-osnabrueck.de
Fri Sep 24 06:21:20 CEST 2004

Dear Svetlana,

not being an expert in Pd calculations, I dare nevertheless offer
some very general considerations:

1. If you get a magnetic moment on pure Pd, whether genuine or
by calculation error, it comes from a very narrow peak which resides
just at the Fermi level in the nonmagnetic case, so that the electronic
structure is very unstable against removing (splitting) this peak
from the E_f. That's why your results are so sensitive to the number
of k-points. If you really care about absolute convergency of
your results in k-mesh, you may try introducing a (small) broadening,
extrapolating it to zero simultaneously :-) with increasing the number
of k-points.

2. But there are other issues which might be important:
You get magnetism in GGA and not in LDA. I'd expect a dependency of
results on how "good" your GGA is, i.e., on GMAX.
I'd advise you to go beyond 16. in order to test the sensitivity
of your results on this parameter.

3. Also spin-orbit interaction might play a role. I can imagine
(without actually checking it) your "sensitive" peak to become
less "peaky", so that magnetism won't survive even in GGA...
Can it be that nobody tested it so far?

Hopefully this helps,
good luck,

Andrei

 +-- Dr. habil. Andrei Postnikov ----- Tel. +49-541-969.2377 -- Fax .2351 ---+
 | Universitaet Osnabrueck - Fachbereich Physik, D-49069 Osnabrueck, Germany |
 +-- apostnik at uos.de --------- http://www.home.uni-osnabrueck.de/apostnik/ --+

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004, Kulkova S.E. wrote:

| Dear Peter and Wien users,
|
| Several months ago my student calculated spin  magnetc moment of bulk fcc Pd
| versus lattice constants (7.2 -9.0 a.u.).
| We used GGA and LDA.
| In the case 7.3 a.u.  a liiitle bit lower than experimental value  (7.345
| a.u.) we found the spin magnetic moment for GGA (13) but it was absent in
| LDA.
| Our question is not connected with GGA and LDA but with peculiarities of
| calculations.
|
| Below you can see some results for  a=7.3 a.u. (GGA)
|
| For 1024 k-pont (47 in IRBZ)  the moment is 0.248 mu_B.
| We increased with "x  kgen"  number of k-points up to 4096(145) and continue
| convergence (charge).
| The moment was  0.180 mu_B.
| We repeat this procedure further for 10000 k and 20000k and had 0.185 and
| 0.186 mu_B, respectively.
:w