[Wien] AFM in FCC compounds

Chesnokov Alex achestnokov at rambler.ru
Wed Apr 27 16:13:24 CEST 2005

Dear wien2k user,

I've got the question about modeling of AFM in NiO. Actually NiO
exhibits antiferromagnetic ordering of type-II fcc, with planes of
opposite spins being repeated in alternating order along [111]. The
natural choice of unit scell for the calculation of this magnetic
ordering is
1 0.5 0.5
0.5 1 0.5
0.5 0.5 1

In this case we've got two inequivalent types of Nickels placed in
Ni1 0 0 0
Ni2 1 1 1

However, I did not find any tools in Wien2k package to create such
cell. Standart supercell program does not allow to come to such
compact supercell. One is just able to increase cell in x,y and z
directions to have much more atoms. The use of P or B types of cell
(in flow of supercell program) does not help as well. How usually
people work with such kind of magnetism ? In principle it should be
quite common problem because there are many antiferomagnetics of
type-II fcc. Any suggestions are desirable. Thank you in advance.

Best regards,
Alex Chestnokov.