[Wien] Parallel for spin-polarized 1-kpoint?

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Thu Apr 28 21:51:06 CEST 2005

> I was wondering if it would be possible to do a sort of parallelized
> calculation for spin-polarized cases with a single k-point, for
> dual-CPU computers.
>
> Specifically, can the up and dn spins be run simultaneously for
> lapw1 and lapw2?

In principle this is possible and there should be no conflict.
You have to modify your runsp_lapw. Basically try to run bot spins in
background and put a "wait" statement afterwards (but you cannot use
"totalexec").

However, I wonder what case is it that you have a magnetic solution and
only one k-point ? This might be good only for "atoms", but even for
supercell-solids I'd expect a few k-points are necessary.

Regards