[Wien] Bandgap of ionic bonds

Stefaan Cottenier Stefaan.Cottenier at fys.kuleuven.ac.be
Fri Apr 29 14:06:22 CEST 2005

See http://zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/pipermail/wien/2003-June/000090.html

>  One more complicataion; if I increase the R*Kmax value to 8 or higher,
> the bandgap
>  disappears.

Then the true LDA/GGA result is that there is no bandgap. You should at
least determine for which Rkmax your result doesn't change anymore on
further increasing RKmax (check the fermi energy, for instance). It doesn't
make sense to stick to a smaller RKmax just because there there is still a
band gap: such a calculation is unreliable.

Stefaan