[Wien] compiler pathscale

Brian R Smith brian at cypher.acomp.usf.edu
Tue Aug 2 16:44:18 CEST 2005

Robert,

> Or, should it use -lmkl_lapack32 ?

I haven't built with Intel on the EM64T chips, so I don't know if the
compiler defaults to 64bit or if you have to specify it explicitly.  I
would do a 'file' on one of the .o object files generated during the
install.  It will tell you if it's 32bit or 64bit.  Actually, I don't
ever recall actually having to use -lmkl_lapack* after passing -lmkl to
the linker.  On 32bit systems with 7.x series MKL, -lmkl_lapack is
included implicitly with -lmkl.

> Is there an option for siteconfig that sets up a separate target
> directory, it seems like it , but it always sets the target to the
> current directory where siteconfig resides, and then searches for the
> source in that directory, as far as I can tell

siteconfig appears fairly "static" and probably will not work as
expected if used outside the intended bounds of the wien2k default build
structure.  I've never seen any options to specify target paths, though
I could be mistaken.

> 1. It seems that during the build process, the environment variable
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH is not used as I expect, ...

Yes, I would not count on this to work.  I would pass absolute paths to
the linker with -L<path> rather than rely on LD_LIBRARY_PATH (ESP. with
3rd Party Compilers like Intel).  An additional benefit of passing
absolute paths to the linker is that once those paths are in your
siteconfig (and thus your makefiles), rebuilding wien2k at any time will
be more trivial (e.g. you wont have to remember to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH
or what it needed to be set to).

-Brian Smith