[Wien] SCRATCH directory again

Stefaan Cottenier Stefaan.Cottenier at fys.kuleuven.be
Fri Aug 5 14:04:24 CEST 2005

>Now I want to start from the begining, What do you do
>you, when you create the scratch directiory in you own
>space. do you supress manually the case.vecto* or you
>have an other solution.

On most systems, you have a common directory for scratch files (often
called /tmp ), such that users don't have to store large temporarily
files in their own account. Inquire whether such a directory exists on
your system, and put that in the SCRATCH variable. Depending on how your
computer is organized, this /tmp is cleaned up automatically (files
untouched for say 30 days are deleted every night), or you have to do it
manually (but normally the disk is large enough such that you can go on
for a few weeks/months before having filled it completely).

Stefaan