[Wien] Problems with kpoint-parallelization / SUSE 9.2

Ulrich Keßler ukessler at uni-bonn.de
Mon Aug 8 15:30:39 CEST 2005

Dear Wien Users,

on 03.08. I mailed about problems with old athlons to run in kpoint
parallel mode under SUSE 9.2. In a way the problem is solved though some
questions remain.
Since so many of you seem to have problems with running in parallel mode
and/or compiling the programs I'd like to give some remarks on my problem:

1. In my case, running in k point parallel mode is okay when using the
precompiled executables from the Wien homepage. There was no problem
with SUSE 9.2, OpenSSH, or tcsh.
2. The precompiled executables are about factor 2 faster (!!) than the
ones compiled with ifort 8.1 and intel mkl 7.2.1. Compiler options were
as suggested by siteconfig with the only exception that -DINTEL_VML was
left out. I think this is necessary because old athlons (800 and 1400)
do not understand SSE2 commands.

I conclude that the problem I had most probably goes back to some
incompabilities of ifort 8.1/mkl 7.2.1 and either the source code or old
athlons.

Moreover, after having made these experiences I recommend trying the
precompiled executables for benchmarking first and checking the
self-compiled versions against this. I am running the benchmark on an
athlon 800, 764 MB in 1300 s and on an athlon 1400, 512 MB in 800 s with
the precompiled executables. So I think that most times in the benchmark
list could be improved.

If anyone has improved run times for old athlons please let me know your
compiler etc.

Thank you
Uli

Dr. Ulrich Keßler