[Wien] PHON or Phonon software

Angelica angelica.strutz at gmail.com
Sat Aug 13 13:05:59 CEST 2005

Hello wien2k users,

I am interested in doing calculations of phonons (i.e. phonon dispersion,
phonon density of states, thermodynamic functions) for ternary compounds
with Uranium. I would like to ask if someone already checked the Phonon and
the (free) PHON software and can tall me which program is more suitable to
do the calculations for our system.

In addition, I have tried to install the PHON program. I am working with
Linux Fedora core3 on p4 with 2GB memory. I compiled the make file with IFC
7 and the end result was this error:

 /opt/intel/compiler70/ia32/lib/libIEPCF90.a(f90fioerr.o)(.text+0x4d3):

 In function `f_f77ioerr':

 : undefined reference to `__ctype_b'

 make: *** [phon] Error 1

Does anyone know if this error is compiler version related? If so any
recommendation to which FORTRAN compiler should I use.

Thank you in advance,

Angelica