[Wien] Is there any way to calculate spin glass states by WIEN2k?

Victor Pardo Castro vpardo at usc.es
Wed Aug 17 18:55:41 CEST 2005

> Do you know if there is any way to calculate spin
> glass states by WIEN2k? Does FSM do the job? Thanks
> for your response.

I don't think there's a general rule to study spin glass states within WIEN2k.
Actually, a spin glass state would imply basically no long-range order in the
spin system, whereas WIEN2k assumes some kind of order. You can probably study
some properties of spin glass systems but I don't think that's an easy task. You
could, for example, see some indications of glassy behaviour, if all possible
magnetic configurations are equally stable (but this is not conclusive, of
course). Also, some properties of spin-glass systems can be related (through
models) to quantities obtainable using WIEN2k (magnetic anisotropy, magnetic
moments per atom, etc ...).

Not too optimistic, but I hope this helps.

P.S.: FSM would help to see how the energy of the system evolves with respect to
the total magnetic moment of the unit cell. How can you relate that to a
possible spin glass state? No idea.

--
Victor Pardo (PhD Student)
Electromagnetism - Applied Physics Department
Phone: +34 981 563100 Ext:13960     email: vpardo at usc.es