[Wien] temperature-dependent elastic constants

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Mon Dec 12 14:55:06 CET 2005

I don't think that this is the way to proceed. You suggest to take into
account only the "electronic temperature" via the Fermi function. Remember,
300K is only 2 mRy, so unless you go to very large temperatures, your
Fermi-function effects will be very small.

Unfortunately, in general this is a very small contribution and most likely
does not produce the effect you want to investigate.

For sure the thermal expansion is "more" important and you need to consider
this effect.

The best procedure is most likely to calculate the full phonon-dispersion
and I think from the slopes of the acustic modes you can get your info.
Using a "quasi-harmonic" approximation you can calculate the temperature
expansion "ab-initio" too and see how the slopes change with temperature
(volume). Of course such calculations are a bit expensive, but doable.