AW: [Wien] help on computer for WIEN2k calculation

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Wed Dec 21 07:59:37 CET 2005

I've put new benchmarks for AMD Opterons (directly made by SUN) and
Itanium-2 (made by SGI) on the benchmark page. "Nothing new" on the AMD
side, but surprisingly good numbers for Itanium-2 (122 sec on a single
processor). But beware, usually an Itanium-2 machine is several times
more expensive!

I guess the whole discussion about AMD vs. Intel shoulds not be done as a
fight between two "religions". Take the code(s) which you want to use most
and test the timing. Take whatever is best for you!
And don't be surprised, that P4s (sometimes) win. Their theoretical
peakperformance is MUCH larger than that on Opterons, simply due to the
higher clock-frequency (typically 7200 vs 4800 GFlops). If a program can
use this and is not limited by some P4-bottlenecks (memory access), it
will be faster.