[Wien] should there be : one or more k points in kgen: organic material

Travis Sefzik tsefzik at chemistry.ohio-state.edu
Thu Dec 29 19:35:49 CET 2005

Alexei,

I have also been having problems with similar systems and was
wondering if you had any luck yet with benzene.

I haven't had time to work on WIEN calculations lately, but have been
trying to look at a few simple sugar systems.  In particular, I am
looking at EFG's.

I have varied the Rmt a great deal, but that doesn't seem to help.  I
have also (via advice in your earlier emails) scaled down the k-
points that I am using.

I have been wondering exactly why it was suggested that you only use
1 k-point for the isolated benzene.  Is increasing the number of k-
points essentially increasing the number of unit cells represented in
the calculations (please forgive my ignorance)?

-Travis

On Dec 27, 2005, at 6:30 AM, <akomolov at kiku.dk> <akomolov at kiku.dk>
wrote:

> Dear all?
> Once I have been advised from this mailing list to set just 1 k
> point in kgen when calculating an organic material. I believe it
> was because bands in an organic material were supposed to be narrow
> and E - not to change with k.
>
> I found some references [by Cornil, Bredas et.al] where the HOMO
> and LUMO bandwidths for a number of typical organic materials were
> reported as 0.2-1 eV broad.
>
> Taking into account such bandwidths, would there be still a
> fundamental reason for E not to change much with k? and would your
> advise still be to use just 1 k point in kgen?
>
> Merry Christmas
> -Alexei+

---
Travis Sefzik