[Wien] Impurity level

Lyudmila Dobysheva lyu at otf.pti.udm.ru
Wed Feb 23 13:23:23 CET 2005

On Tuesday 22 February 2005 13:59, mkhsabra at aec.org.sy wrote:
> I have plot the band structure with character. I found that many atoms
> contribute to the lowest band in the conduction, one of them is the Si
> atom, even its contribution is less than the others. So can I say that this
> band is the Impurity level.

There should be some lines that are localized at Si atom and only in small
extent at other atoms, and I'd call them "the impurity level". The lowest
band is usually almost totally of s-character which is spread over the whole
cell and contribution to it is given by almost all atoms proportionally to
their number. Look at
Figure 3.16: Bandstructure of TiC, showing t2g-character bands of Ti.
Compare it with 3.15 - simple bandstructure.
You should obtain something like this for Si for s- and p- electrons.

Best regards
  Lyudmila Dobysheva
Phys.-Techn. Institute of       | Tel.(home):   7 (3412) 442118
Ural Br. of Russian Ac. of Sci. | Tel.(office): 7 (3412) 218988
426001 Izhevsk, ul.Kirova 132   | Fax:          7 (3412) 250614
RUSSIA                          | E-mail: lyu at otf.fti.udmurtia.su