[Wien] equivalent-core approximation

Michael Gurnett michael.gurnett at kau.se
Thu Feb 24 13:30:35 CET 2005

Hi Kevin,

I have seen these and in none of them do they use the Z+1 method (substitute
a given atom for an atom to the right in the periodic table). I have been
informed that at least in the case of metals this works very well for final
state effect  surface core level shifts of valence electrons (valence
electrons cannot distinguish between an extra proton and a core hole).
However as I pointed out in the first mail, there seems to be two techniques
(one with a neutral Z+1 atom and one that is ionized).

Now I have noticed that simply changing a given atom to Z+1 is very unstable
(l2main QTL-B ERROR). So for this reason I am now trying PRATT. I am open to
other techniques that allow to simulate final state effects on core-levels
for Ge 3d electrons (approx. -1.5 ryd). So far I have tried manually placing
these in core and reducing the number of valence electrons. However, this
too was unstable. Another method I have heard about is simply using the
Slater transition state (which was found to work really well in the case of
Si 2p) on deeper core-electrons as the surface core-level shift should be
failry similar (say using 3p). This again was good for metals, and it is not
certain how well this would work for a semiconductor.

So basically any technique in which I can obtain final state effect shifts
for Ge 3d electrons is welcome

Michael