[Wien] equivalent-core approximation

buero at luitz.at buero at luitz.at
Fri Feb 25 18:19:21 CET 2005

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005, Michael Gurnett wrote:

> Thank you Peter for your very indepth reply. This method you have is what I
> originally tried. Howerver, once I made all the changes I found that the SCF
> would oscilate even with a mixing factor of 0.01 and would eventually crash.
> If this is the best method I will try it again, and with any luck I can
> continue on from there.

When I met such a oscillating condition in my core hole calculations, what
often helped was a "step by step approach": instead of 1 full core hole, I
started with 0.5 (half a core hole) ran SCF then increased to 0.8, rerun
SCF and finally run SCF on a 1.0 corehole. For the systems I was
interested in this worked amazingly well.

Best
   Joachim

Mit freundlichen Grüssen
   Joachim Luitz

--
luitz.at | interfacing art, science and technology

Dipl.-Ing. Joachim Luitz KEG
Wohlmuthgasse 18 . A-3003 Gablitz . T +43 2231 61254 | Fax +43 2231 612544
buero at luitz.at . http://www.luitz.at . callto://jluitz