[Wien] equivalent-core approximation

Jorissen Kevin Kevin.Jorissen at ua.ac.be
Fri Feb 25 20:31:14 CET 2005

Why did you remove the
2     0.30
?

Surely there is no need for this?

Kevin Jorissen

EMAT - Electron Microscopy for Materials Science   (http://webhost.ua.ac.be/emat/)
Dept. of Physics

UA - Universiteit Antwerpen
Groenenborgerlaan 171
B-2020 Antwerpen
Belgium

tel  +32 3 2653249
fax + 32 3 2653257
e-mail kevin.jorissen at ua.ac.be

________________________________

Van: wien-admin at zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at namens Michael Gurnett
Verzonden: vr 25-2-2005 19:24
Aan: wien at zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Onderwerp: Re: [Wien] equivalent-core approximation

TRouble is at the moment I cannot even place the Ge 3d electrons into core
follwoing Peters instructions. I get to the fourth scf and it crashes.
Usually not giving an error. Most reasantly the error was the following

--------------------------------------

Input/Output Error 148: Invalid character

   In Procedure: insld
        At Line: 95

      Statement: Formatted READ
           Unit: 20
   Connected To: Li_Ge3x2.struct
           Form: Formatted
         Access: Sequential
Records Read   : 495
Records Written: 0

Current I/O Buffer:

   2      NUMBER OF SYMMETRY OPERATIONS
            !

End of diagnostics--------------------------------------

What I have done is starting with a normal calculation reaching convergance,
Than I did the following

1.    removed the following 2 lines in case.in1c for all Ge atoms

     2   -1.82      0.010 CONT 1
     2    0.30      0.000 CONT 1

and also changed the 4 to a 2 to reflect the removal of these two lines

2.    changed NE in case.in2c to reflect that I'm removing 10 electrons in
every Ge

3.   Added the follwoing two line in case.inc, placing Ge 3d in core

3, 2,4               ( N,KAPPA,OCCUP)
3,-3,6               ( N,KAPPA,OCCUP)

and also increasing the number of orbitals by 2

I've tried decreasing the mixing factor, and the PW mixing to 0.05 and 0.1
respectively. I've also tried using PRATT.

But I'm still getting crashes

Any help would be great.

Mick