[Wien] monoclinic C

Peter Blaha pblaha at zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Tue Jan 4 16:29:37 CET 2005

>  I have a question regarding the bug in monoclinic C. Is the problem below
> coming from that known bug, and is there a smart way around it?
>
>  I am dealing with space group C2/m, and can run the calculation just fine in
> P2/m. However, then I have too many bands of course, as the primitive volume
> is doubled. Hence only the DOS is correct, not the spaghetti diagram.
>
> Running x sgroup results in C2/m, unique axis c. First problem shows up in
> xsymmetry (-3 not found).
> The 3-fold axis bothers me of course, considering the monoclinic system. In
> the outputs file I found:
>
> Cu1        operation #  1     1
> Cu1        operation #  2     -1
> Cu1        operation #  5     2 || z
>   pointgroup is 3 (neg. iatnr!!)
>   axes should be: 3 || z

Are you using a recent version of "symmetry" ? If no, please update, if
yes, send me the struct file (to my private email) together with some
information about the desired crystal structure.

The error in dstart comes because the input files were not created correctly in symmetry.

PS: The spaghettis are not "wrong" ! They are just represented in a doubled
unitcell resulting in twice as many bands due to backfolding.