[Wien] Two questions

Jorissen Kevin Kevin.Jorissen at ua.ac.be
Wed Jan 12 19:58:16 CET 2005

nmatmax 3500 is not enough for 64 atom cells.  Stefaan's userguide on DFT and LAPW contains a strategy to estimate the number of basis functions needed.
Do grep :RKM case.scf : that will give you the effective rkmax, the best the program could do for your nmatmax.  It's probably less than what you put into case.in1.  (It's mainly rkmax that determines memory needs, not gmax).

However, you cannot increase nmatmax to very large numbers : the maximal size for that is limited by the available memory (if you put half of the matrix in the swap space, your calculation will become dramatically slower) and the number of memory adresses available ("32 bit limit").
I typically use nmatmax = 10 000 (or a little more) for super cells, corresponding to about 1.5 Gb of memory needed; that may be more than you need for the 64 atoms.

512 Mb RAM is, generally speaking, not enough for a 64 atom system.  I'd advise you to upgrade to 1Gb or (better) 2 Gb.  (You can estimate the memory needed : 8b per number, and nmatmax*nmatmax numbers in the hamiltonian.  If you have a complex calculation, you need 16b per number.  Some additional memory will be needed for other variables.)

Have you tried T. Andersen's suggestion to recompile lapw1 without any optimisation (use -O0)?

Kevin Jorissen

EMAT - Electron Microscopy for Materials Science   (http://webhost.ua.ac.be/emat/)
Dept. of Physics

UA - Universiteit Antwerpen