[Wien] When to add a U.

L. D. Marks L-marks at northwestern.edu
Sun Jan 23 20:18:43 CET 2005

I'm the guilty party for the question, which I agree with Georg is
important. For instance, there is a paper by Fang and Terakura, Surf.Sci.
470, L75 (2000) where LDA+U is used for a SrTiO3 surface (a topic dear to
my heart) where there are large effects and they argue that LDA+U is in
better agreement with experiment.

Just to expand the scope of the discussion (?) further, for fun I did
LDA+U for MgO. With U=6eV, J=0 there is a change of about 0.01 Ryd/Mg
atom. Although MgO has no "d-electrons", it does have d-harmonics in the
density and if I understand DFT/U correctly, there is no distinction
between d-electrons and d-harmonics. This is probably similar to the
effects in Ca....??

Laurence Marks
MSE Rm 2036 Cook Hall
2220 N Campus Drive