[Wien] When to add a U.

Peter Blaha pblaha at zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Mon Jan 24 08:21:35 CET 2005

Ca is know to have "almost" active 3d electrons (the next element in the
periodic table, Sc,  of course has).
E.g. in an LCAO description, an accurate calculation would need d-basis
fuctions for Ca. Thus it
is reasonable and clear that LDA+U for Ca-d has an effect (I'll not duscuss
whether it is physically meaningful or not, but it might be that the Ca-d
bands are not fully correctly positioned within LDA alone !).

Mg does NOT have d-electrons! An LCAO calculation does not need d-basis
fuctions. So putting LDA+U on Mg-d is meaningless!
The  d-partial waves of Mg within our APW formalism are tails of O-p
wavefunctions!
If you want to play around, you may want to add LDA+U to O-p ! (or
Mg s,p - although I'd call the latter also "unphysical").