[Wien] When to add a U.

Pavel Novak novakp at fzu.cz
Mon Jan 24 13:58:23 CET 2005

Let me join the club:

contrary to Georg I am more optimistic and no longer think that 'LDA+U is
a basis set dependent method with poorly defined energy functional'.
Providing the radial part of basis functions is not varied, the LDA+U
potential is obtained by variation of LDA+U functional (A.S. Shick et al.
PRB60, 10763, 1999). It is true that the method is partly empirical as no
truly 'ab initio' and 'always correct' U, J exist. The fact not often
appreciated is that LDA+U might have several selfconsistent solutions,
depending on how at the start the correlated electrons are distributed
between the |l,m> states (i.e. on starting density matrix). Now, as a
rule, correlated electrons are localized and the selfinteraction may be
big. Selfinteraction is not removed in LDA+U (notation LDA+U(SIC) in WIEN
is misleading - my fault, it should be called Fully Localized Limit) and
the lowest total energy might not correspond to the true ground state (see
J. Kunes et al. PRB 68, 115101 for an example and brief analysis).

To return to the original question: add U whenever LSDA and GGA give wrong
ground state and also when there is a disagreement with experiment and
strongly correlated electrons are present. Be careful, however, because of
possible multiplicity of the solutions and ambiguity as to which version
of LDA+U to choose.

Regards
Pavel

Dr. Pavel Novak
Department of Magnetism and Superconductivity
Institute of Physics AS CR
Cukrovarnicka 10, 162 53 Praha 6, Czech Republic
tel: +420 2 20 318 532
e-mail: novakp at fzu.cz