[Wien] Orbital angular momentum at Fermi surface

fecher fecher at mail.uni-mainz.de
Thu Jan 27 12:35:21 CET 2005

Dear Peter and Matsui,
I agree with Peter that it should be possible to find somewhere in the angular
resolved spektrum the pz (or pxy) alone, I just  wanted to point that things
seen by photoemission may be very different from the pure band structure, as
you need to look at three things: initial state, final state, and the dipole
operator connecting them.

Depending on the surface (Cu(111), Cu(100), or Cu(110)) and photon energy you
may see also surface states with sp character in your 2D intensity
distribution, that will be most probably not included in the Fermi-surface
calculated from Wien2k.

I like to point on two papers about angular resolved photoemission that are
probably helpfull and contain a lot of references for further reading:
J. Braun. Rep. Prog Phys. 59 (1996) 1267
J. Braun, M. Donath; J. Phys. Condens Matter 16 (2004) S2539.
There are examples for Cu included.

I can try to simmulate the emission pattern (with some more information about
the experiment) so to compare it to the Fermi surface from Wien2k. I am using
a slightly modified code of Juergen Braun, and you may also ask him directly
(jbraun at uni-muenster.de), for sure he will give you help.

Please contact me directly (fecher at uni-mainz.de) in case you like to have more
information about angular resolved photoemission, so that we don't go too far
off Wien2k topics.

Ciao Gerhard