[Wien] Electric Field Gradient in case.scf_mini

Daniel Kmiec daniel.kmiec at ap.univie.ac.at
Wed Jan 26 14:15:23 CET 2005

Dear Wien2k users,

I'm trying to calculate EFG and have some questions
concerning information about EFG in the case.scf_mini file.
A typical entry looks like below:

         MAIN DIRECTIONS OF THE EFG   1.0000  0.2760 -0.3709
                                      0.4072 -0.5385  1.0000
                                     -0.0567  1.0000  0.6408
:ANG014:  ANGLE WITH OLD X-AXIS =        24.8

:ETA014:                         ASYMM. ETA =     0.56833

I found in the usersguide that, this gives the eigenvectors of
EFG (in colums). If I'm not wrong this the axes of the "EFG cordinate
system".
Thats why if the first column will be the x' axis (x axis in the
EFG system) the angle with the old x axis could be calculated as
follows:
alpha = arccos(x . x'/|x|*|x'|). However when I take
x = (1,0,0) and x' = (1.000, 0.4072, -0.0567)
I get alpha = 22.3 instead of 24.8.

I've checked this for several results and I have never get
exact angle shown in *.scf_mini.

I will be appreciated if somebody could explain me how the angle
between the axes is calculated, or if there is an error in
my impretation.

Greetings
Daniel Kmiec