No subject

Wed Jul 6 14:13:09 CEST 2005

TS=U-P*V-mu*N
where, as you see no differential is used (as opposed to the first and second laws). The fundamental equation of thermodynamics with respect to Gibbs free energy, G=U-TS-PV, can be rewritten as follows:
G=mu*N.

Thus for monatomic system (here we also have one type of particle that is electron) always we can say that mu=G/N (for sure see B.5 formula, Appendix B, page 759, Solid state physics, by N. W. Ashcroft, N. D. Mermin), and it can be reduced to U/N for the case of T=0 and P=0.

> can this defination be treated as mu=U/N?so do in the WIEN2K?
I hope so.

> Does this mean that the chemical potential alway be negative? so does the Fermi energy?
The sign of the chemical potential (Fermi energy at T=0 K) depends on the Energy reference: as in wien2k sometimes the Fermi energy is set to zero eV.

Your,
S. Jalali.

--=====003_Dragon007134237175_=====

<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=gb2312">
<META content="MSHTML 6.00.2800.1400" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV>thanks for your patient explanation!</DIV>
<DIV>best regards</DIV>
<DIV>L.Z.Sun</DIV>
<DIV>
<HR>
</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>
<DIV>
<DIV>&gt; and i remember the defination of the chemical potential is :</DIV>
<DIV>&gt; mu=d(G)/d(N)</DIV></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>From the first and second laws of thermodynamics, and the fact that entropy
is an state variable, i.e. exact differential, one can drive the fundamental
equation of thermodynamics, i.e. Euler's equation, which for&nbsp;monatomic
systems reads:</DIV>
<DIV>TS=U-P*V-mu*N</DIV>
<DIV>where, as you see no differential is used (as&nbsp;opposed to the first and
second laws). The fundamental equation of thermodynamics with respect to Gibbs
free energy, G=U-TS-PV, can be rewritten as follows:</DIV>
<DIV>G=mu*N. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Thus for monatomic system (here we also have one type of particle that is
electron) always we can say that mu=G/N (for sure see B.5 formula, Appendix B,
page 759, Solid state physics, by N. W. Ashcroft, N. D. Mermin), and it can be
reduced to U/N for the case of T=0 and P=0.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV>&gt; can this defination be treated as mu=U/N?so do in the WIEN2K?</DIV>
<DIV>I hope so.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV>&gt; Does this mean that the chemical potential alway be negative? so does
the Fermi energy?</DIV></DIV>
<DIV>The sign of the chemical potential&nbsp;(Fermi energy at T=0 K) depends on
the Energy reference: as&nbsp;in wien2k sometimes the Fermi energy is set to
zero eV.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Your,</DIV>
<DIV>S. Jalali.</DIV></FONT></DIV>