[Wien] Obtaining the Reference Energy for Calculated Band Structure

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Wed Jul 20 09:17:59 CEST 2005

Hi,

A "bulk" calculation is for an "infinite" solid and thus even at infinity
there are atoms. So there is no chance to obtain what you are looking for
from the bulk.

The only way to do this is by a simulation of a "surface-slab" with some
(as thick as possible) vacuum between the slabs (which should also be as
thick as possible).
Realistically, this depends on your sample, but maybe even 7 layers of
bulk will do it, seperated by 30 bohr of vaccum. The potential in the
middle of the vacuum (printed in the scf file) could serve as your
"reference potential" at "infinity".