[Wien] how to use non-default ROTLOC (local rotation matrix)

Peter Blaha pblaha at zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Mon Mar 21 18:56:00 CET 2005

> What exactly goes wrong in the Brillouin zone integration when the mesh is not symmetrized?
>
> And why do I get problems already in dstart - a program which doesn't care about the k-mesh?  (case.outputd is identical to the calculation with the default rotloc from symmetry, but running lapw5 on the clmsum created by dstart gives case.rho which are not identical - most numbers are about the same, but some differ by some %).
>
> Given the case.struct and case.in2 in my previous mail, and using a full k-mesh, should I be able to run the calculation?

If I understood you correctly, than you used a different locrot matrix,
but you also changed the LM list (and included "all" LM) ?

If you did just that, my understanding would have been, that dstart gives
"identical" starting density (when plotting it with lapw5). If it does
not, I'm a bit surprised (not too much since I never really
understood how the nonspherical density components where generated), but
since overlapping spherical densities are still "pretty" spherical, I
never cared to check this.

k-mesh:
When you look at the electron density of say a single X-point, its density
does NOT have the symmetry of the crystal (eg. in cubic case, it may
contain only a px orbital, but no py,pz). Only when adding the equivalent
X-points (100, 010 and 001) you get a density which is symmetric as it
should be.

Alternatively one can "symmetrize" via selection of LM. In cubic we would
only use LM=40, so via the Gaunt selection rules l=1 (p) orbitals do not
contribute to this "non-spherical" term and the resulting density is
spherical as it should be.

Of course, the 3rd method would be that of lapwdm, where you "symmetrize
the wavefunction of his single X-point and "implicitly" sum over all
X-points.