[Wien] running wien2k_05 as a background process

buero at luitz.at buero at luitz.at
Tue Mar 22 20:44:15 CET 2005

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005, Rebecca Nicholls wrote:

> I am having trouble running WIEN2k_05 as a background process,
> and I was wondering if anyone else has come across this?
> I can run run_lapw fine as long as I don't log out.  This is
> not a problem I had with the previous versions.

Some shells terminate all child processes when you exit. In such a
case you should use the "nohup" command, like e.g.

nohup run_lapw &

Then it's no problem to log out afterwards, the job will continue to run.
However all standard output will thereafter be sent to /dev/null and thus
is no more accessible. Therefor I rather recommend submitting your job to
a "batch" or "at" queue.

Best
   Joachim

--
luitz.at | interfacing art, science and technology

Dipl.-Ing. Joachim Luitz KEG
Wohlmuthgasse 18 . A-3003 Gablitz . T +43 2231 61254 | Fax +43 2231 612544
buero at luitz.at . http://www.luitz.at . callto://jluitz