[Wien] effective charges

ali Saadi saadialiyahu at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 30 14:05:23 CEST 2005

Dear Peter Blaha,

I need the charges inside the spheres. Should i look at the CHAxx parameters in the scf file?

Thank you very much,
Ali.

Peter Blaha <pblaha at zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at> wrote:
What do you mean by effective charges ?

When you mean "Born effective charges", this is not implemented.

When you just mean the charge of an atom: this is model dependend.
You may look at the charges inside spheres (scf file), but note: these are
NOT atomic charges, as a large fraction of charge is in the interstital
and cannot be given to any atom.
Alternatively, you can calculate "Bader" charges, which is at least a
well defined quantity. The aim program can do this.