[Wien] Energy range problem in XSPEC

SWG sw.goh at unsw.edu.au
Fri May 13 04:10:32 CEST 2005

Dear Wien users,

Firstly, thank you Stefaan for your advice on how to fix segmentation
faults. My WIEN2k_05 is now working smoothly.

I am attempting to simulate Cu L-edge absorption spectra of Cu2S. All was
going well with the initialize calculation and SCF until the XSPEC section.

Following the advise in the manual, I increased EMAX in case.in1 up to 4.0
Ry and rerun x lapw1. Then I edited case.inxs to calculate LIII-spectrum in
the energy range between -2 and 15 eV. However, when I plotted the spectrum,
the energy is only between -2 to ~ 2.5 eV! I do not understand why this is
so when it had plotted an energy range between -2 to 15 eV when I attempted
TiC as an example.

It looked like somehow the energy range created by lapw2 calculation is
limited to just ~2.5 eV! Where do I go wrong? How do I go about increasing
the energy range to higher energies?

On another attempt, I tried to change the emin/emax windows in case.in1
(K-VECTORS FROM UNIT) from "4  -7.0  4.0" to "4  -2.0  4.0". This
inadvertently decreases the max energy from ~2.5 to 1.0 eV.

Can anybody help shed a light on this problem and advice me on what to do?
Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Siew Wei GOH

School of Chemistry