[Wien] questions about DOS and band structure calculation with SO

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Mon May 16 14:49:54 CEST 2005

>         I can't get the correct results about DOS with spin-orbit calculation,
> since the DOS of spin-up is entirely different from spin-down. But in
> principle these two should be the same.
> My steps are below:
> x lapw2 -qtl -up -so,
> x tetra -up -so.

I'm not sure about your conclusions: I agree, with -so the spin-up and
dn- TOTAL !!! DOS should be the same, but not the partial DOS

To check this, also run    x lapw2 -qtl -dn -so

Now compare the two case.qtlup/dn files. They should contain identical
eigenvalues (since after lapwso there is only one set of eigenvalues), but
the partial charges should still be different, since we project out the
spin-up/dn part into the corresponding qtlup/dn files and these partail
charges are used by tetra.

> And in band structure calculation with spin-orbit calculation, i also met some
> problem."
> My steps are below:
> x lapw1 -band -c -up,
> x lapw1 -band -c -up,          -------------> should be -dn !!!????
> x lapwso -up,
> x irrep -up -so
> x lapw2 -band -qtl -c -up -so,
> x spaghetti -up -so,
> in this step i got an error message "OPEN FAILED"

Check which file failed to be "OPENED".