[Wien] Orientation of Atomic orbital Moments

Robert Laskowski rolask at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Thu Nov 3 10:47:46 CET 2005

> If I set the easy magnetization direction along c-axis
> in the calculations with spin-orbit coupling, but I get
> the orbital moment, e.g., (0, 0.5, -0.5) uB. That is,
> besides the c-component, the b-component is also
> present. Does it mean the (01-1) instead (001) is
> most probably an easy  magnetization direction ?

it means that orbital moment is not colinear with spin moment.
In a case of orbital moment whole density matrix is
calculated by lapwdm, and all components of the vector are in output.

I think you have to add spin and orbital moments. But S_x and S_y are not
calculated, and you can only hope they are zero.

  regards

  Robert
--
Dr Robert Laskowski