[Wien] Orientation of Atomic orbital Moments

Robert Laskowski rolask at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Thu Nov 3 11:23:57 CET 2005

> Does it mean in my system, the orbital moment is 0.7 uB
> along (01-1) direction ?

I think so

> > I think you have to add spin and orbital moments.
>
> sorry, I cannot fully understand this comment.

total magnetic moment is a sum of spin and orbital contribution.

> > But S_x and  S_y are not calculated, and you can only
> > hope they are zero.
>
> Since in my system, the S_z is almost saturated, being
> close to the expected maximum S,  I  would assume
> the S_x/S_y to be small.  If this is the case, does it mean
> in my system, the easy magnetization axis is along
> the (01-1) direction, which is also the spin orientation
> due to spin-orbit coupling.

You have to run calculations with spin moment in (01-1) direction to say that.
If you get lowest energy for c direction, then it means that your total moment
is slightly off the c due to orbital contribution.

regards

--
Dr Robert Laskowski

Vienna University of Technology,