[Wien] Q: charge lost in SO calculation depending on LAPW / APW+lo (2)

Eeuwe Sieds Zijlstra zijlstra at physik.uni-kassel.de
Wed Nov 16 10:47:17 CET 2005

Dear Peter Blaha and Torsten Andersen,

Thank you both for your replies. I would like to add the following.

First of all, yes, I loose charge ONLY for a 6s=LAPW, 6p=APW+lo,  6p-RLO
calculation! All other combinations are fine!
The 6s=LAPW, 6p=LAPW, 6p-RLO combination is also stable and fine when more
than one k point is used.

The :CHA in case.scf is fine:
:CHA  : TOTAL CHARGE INSIDE UNIT CELL =      15.000000
So, the Fermi integration works.

I know that many k-points are required for such a small unit cell and I also
know that Emax in case.in1 should be larger when spin-orbit is included if
one wants to obtain converged results (usually I use Emax=3.0Ry and then
check for convergence). I thought that my question would be clearer / easier
to answer if I presented the smallest possible calculation that already shows
this behavior. Sorry for causing confusion this way.
The important point is that I found the same behavior also when I included
more k points and a higher Emax.

One more point: If I increase the muffin-tin sphere, the charge loss is
greater.

Why I play around with this? To be sure that I understand everything. To
convince myself that the program works correctly. Such checks usually do not
take much time.

I would be very happy if you could look again at this problem.

Thanks in advance,

Eeuwe