[Wien] Speed versus size (e.g. RKMAX)

L. D. Marks L-marks at northwestern.edu
Tue Nov 22 21:23:25 CET 2005

We've run across something odd which someone might know about, and the
answer may well be generally useful for Wien2k calculations. With our
older cluster (3.4 P4 with 512L2) once the total size of the calculation
(i.e. top) gets above about 1G the speed (mflops) drops. We have a newer
cluster (3.4 P4 with 1024L2) which is about 5% slower for the benchmark,
but shows a similar drop in speed now for a much smaller size (about
500Mb). I suspect that this has to be some sort of "tuning" parameter in
the kernel, but don't know which one and which way to start adjusting. Any
suggestions?

Note: if you have an old email address for me, please note that "nwu" has
been changed to "northwestern".
Laurence Marks
MSE Rm 2036 Cook Hall
2220 N Campus Drive