[Wien] band structure for clusters

Rocquefelte Xavier.Rocquefelte at cnrs-imn.fr
Fri Nov 25 09:17:26 CET 2005

Dear Souraya,

After a brief discussion with my colleague Florent Boucher, I would like
to add just one more comment. If you consider the whole cluster in one
unit cell, and use a supercell approach in Wien (in such a way to have
no cluster interaction), you will need only one k point to describe the
system, whatever is the size of your cluster.

Regards

Xavier

Rocquefelte a écrit :

> Dear Souraya,
>
> If you have a very small cluster, then you will have no periodicity.
> The k-space allows to describe the effect of the periodicity on the
> energy of the system and then its properties.
> A small cluster is like a molecule. You will have no energy
> dispersion, only discrete levels.
> If you now progressively increase the size of your cluster you will
> see more and more energy levels in your diagram (because you will have
> more atoms), and this will finally lead to a continuum of energy
> levels (band dispersion).
> To conclude, the answer to your question is clearly dependent of the
> size of your cluster. But for very small cluster the answer is clearly
> yes, the band structure will be flat.
>
> Best Regards
>
> Xavier
>
> Souraya GOUMRI-SAID a écrit :
>
>> Dear User Wien2K,
>>
>> Is it true that the band structure should be flat for small cluster ?
>>
>> If yes, can you please give the arguments.
>>
>> Sincerely yours,
>>

>> --
>> Open WebMail Project (http://openwebmail.org)

Xavier Rocquefelte
Maître de Conférence de l'Université de Nantes

Institut des Matériaux Jean Rouxel (IMN)
2, rue de la Houssinière
B.P. 32229
44322 NANTES Cedex 3 (FRANCE)

Tel : +33 2 40 37 39 97