AW: [Wien] I want to calculate FeNi with lower symmetry

Gerhard Fecher fecher at uni-mainz.de
Wed Nov 30 08:35:44 CET 2005

Is there a confusion about symmetry ?

The symmetry of the atom positions is independent of the magnetisation if you do not have magnetostriction.

If you consider the spin or a magnetization, you have to remove some more symmetry operations, as (for example) every vertical mirror operation will change the sign of the spin.
For bcc-Fe with the atomic positions in I m-3m you will have the color groups (group in brackets transforms the spin correctly)
for B || 001  I 4/mmm (I 4/m) (you see 2 mirror m's are removed, only the h one remained)
for B || 110  F mmm (C 2/n)
for B || 111  R -3m  (R -3)

Please, consult e.g.: Koster, Dimmok, Wheeler and Satz; properties of the thirty-two point groups to see what may apply for youre FeNi case.

Ciao Gerhard