[Wien] Plamon (plasma) in joint/kram

Fred Nastos nastos at physics.utoronto.ca
Wed Nov 30 22:59:38 CET 2005

On November 30, 2005 04:13 pm, L. D. Marks wrote:
> My main question is whether there is a correction for the effective mass
> built in somewhere here, or not. The UG says "number of ``free`` electrons
> per unit cell assuming bare electron mass (calculated around E_f+/- 10*de
> as defined in input line 4), plasma-frequency". It's not clear if an
> estimate of the effective mass is in there. (If so, it would be nice to
> know what it is so one can do an empirical correction if needed.)

If this is indeed an approximation, then I can't see how the oscillator
strength sum rule is satisfied.  And I was under the impression that
the optic/joint codes do a check on this at some point.

I'm guessing that in this line of joint.f (around 660 for my version):
	plasm2(ip)= plasm2fac*(EPLF*gesDENSTY(npl+1,ip))
the array gesDENSTY contains the corrections required to incorporate the
correct computed effective mass.

My understanding is that for m* in the usual plasma frequency formula,
one needs to use an m* averaged over the Fermi surface (I have some
notes on this somewhere if you're interested).  This can easily be
computed within the integration scheme that are used in joint.
Furthermore, it is my understanding that this is what is done in the
code.  If it's not, then it can in principle be easily calculated.

I agree, the documentation (and perhaps variable names) needs some
work.  Pet-peeve: the same variables are sometimes capitalized and
other times not.

FN