[Wien] TPSS or others?

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Fri Oct 7 14:30:03 CEST 2005

TPSS (a "meta-GGA") is implemented only with E-XC, but uses the PBE V-XC.
Thus the bandstructure (gap) will not change. In addition it was already
shown by others that even the TPSS potential will not improve this.

(maybe even the "exact" DFT functional will not improve this, because DFT
is a groundstate theory, while the gap is an excited state property and
the known "discontinuity-problem" should contribute to the gap in any
case.)  Thus one might need an "excited state" calculation (like GW,..)
in any case.

Nevertheless, a "pragmatic" and simple way on improving the gap within
WIEN2k is using the   EV-GGA (option 25 in case.in0). It should give
significantly better gaps in semiconductors (not quite the accuracy of GW,
but not too bad either in many cases). However, NEVER use this EV-GGA for
total energies (structural optimization), since this give VERY bad results.

Regards