[Wien] DOS vs. k-point

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Fri Oct 7 14:42:24 CEST 2005

With one k-point you have only "one and the same energy / band". Thus
in a DOS calculation with a tetrahedron-method you get a series of
"delta-function-peaks", and since you do the DOS for a discrete numerical
energy-grid you will miss most (all) of those delta-functions.

You could write your own little "DOS" program (or even use the "broadening"
program of WIEN2k and take each eigenvalue and broaden it by a small Gaussian.

My recommendation, however, would be to use for the DOS a small "unshifted"
k-mesh (like 4-kpoints,...) (not necessarily for scf, just for the DOS after
the scf cycle). This way you also can "see" and check how big your k-dispersion
really is.