[Wien] Re: insulator in virtual crystal approximation

Moritz Hoesch hoesch at spring8.or.jp
Fri Oct 7 17:45:59 CEST 2005

Dear Peter,

> Did you change case.in2 ?? and set the proper number of valence
> electrons ??
No I didn't!! Thank you for the instruction. Now I could reproduce
the result.

To recap: I have to change the values (1) in the case.struct file
[per atom] (2) in the case.inst file [per atom] and (3) in the
case.in2 file [per unit cell].

A word of caution: the w2web struct-generator doesn't like virtual
atoms and will change them to real integer charge atoms. I edited the
case.struct file by hand.

> You should have a non-integer number and thus you MUST get a metallic
> solution.
> (How do you determine you are metallic or insulating ? k-mesh ?
> "shifted
> k-mesh problem,....)
I calculate either the DOS or the spaghetti around the Gamma point
(valence band maximum) and look at the position of the Fermi level.
With the charge of 7.95 [per unit cell] in case.in2 I get the
metallic band now. Thanks again.

I checked carefully that the "test of charge neutrality" in
case.outputd gives a consisten result [11.95 electrons per unit cell]
but this was obviously the wrong place to look.

Moritz