[Wien] LDA+U in spin polarized systems

Stefaan Cottenier Stefaan.Cottenier at fys.kuleuven.be
Thu Oct 13 09:26:33 CEST 2005

>I have a question about the application of LSDA+U in spin polarized systems.
>When I apply LSDA I have BS and DOS different for spin up and spin down (
>i.e. a spin polarized system). When I apply LSDA+U these properties are the
>same for up and down spins. Is it possible ? have someone observe this
>behavior before ?

LDA+U *must* be done for spin-polarized calculations only (even for
materials which are non-magnetic). Did you maybe use the runsp_c_lapw
script? That one is meant for non-magnetic systems, but treats them
magnetically and forces the moments to be zero, in order to be able to
apply LDA+U. But you shouldn't use that script for magnetic systems.

Stefaan