[Wien] mpi problem

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Mon Oct 31 16:13:57 CET 2005

Hi,
You did not mention anything about Scalapack and blacks, which is also
required by lapw1mpi.

I don't think that the finegrain parallel version of WIEN2k is of much use
for you. Due to SCALAPACK used for diagonalization, lapw1mpi uses more
than twice the memory of lapw1 and is also twice as slow.
It really pays off only for more nodes (4 as minimum, better
8,16,32,36,64) AND it requires fast communication (1Gbit network is too
slow).

In addition it is usefull only for "big" cases (from 50 atoms upwards)

I would recommend the k-point parallel version, which is very efficient.
In addition, try the mpi version of lapw0. Communication is small in this
case and Scalapack is not necessary.