[Wien] About antiferromagnetism calculation

Antoine Villesuzanne ville at icmcb-bordeaux.cnrs.fr
Thu Sep 1 09:30:26 CEST 2005

I have sometimes encoutered this type of problem : starting from antiparallel spins and using the "runafm" script may lead to a non-magnetic or to a ferromagnetic solution, even though the ground state turns out to be the antiferromagnetic one, at last (from the Wien calculations).
For example, this was the case of TeCuO3 (Chem. Mater. 17, 4350, 2005).

The trick is then to :
- check the evolution of the magnetic moments along the iterations,
- when close to the expected values, stop the "runafm" calculation,
- restart with "runsp" until convergence.

or, run the AFM calculation with runsp only (i.e. with spins flipped but without clmcopy)

Antoine Villesuzanne
ICMCB-CNRS
87, Av. Dr. A. Schweitzer
33608 Pessac Cedex