[Wien] Too large orbital polarization with orbital polarization potential Vop And Total energy of easy axis and hard axis is reversed !!

Gerhard H Fecher fecher at uni-mainz.de
Fri Sep 2 14:32:47 CEST 2005

Our measurements (XMCD) revealed for thin fcc and L1_0 FePt films
0.2 and 0.24 muB for the orbital moments at the Fe atoms, at room temperature
(300K) and an applied induction field of about 2T.
Values for bulk material should probably be smaller, what may be compensated
at 0K partially.
There may also be some form anisotropy, that is your magnetization curve may
depend on the shape of the sample and its alignment with respect to the
applied magnetic field.

However, there are several other things unknown if analyzing XMCD data,
starting with the background being usually assumed to be more or less
step-like, some rather rough estimate.
Further, that are the unknown Tz and the unknown number of d-holes. Both
cannot be measured easily. Sum rule analysis does neither account for the
variation of the matrix elements nor of the relativistic effects like the
j-dependency of the wavefunctions for both large and small components.

Eperimentally, XMCD integrates over the excited shell, that is the extend of
the core holes: here the Fe 2p1/2 and 2p3/2. The Fe 3d is without doubt
delocalized, so I call in question that one is able to sparate the atom
resolved magnetic moments at all.

In most cases I found that the experimental and calculated orbital to spin
moment ratios aggreed much better than the pure orbital moments.

If you are interested, from full relativistic KKR calculations (ASA) I found
the following values:

fcc:
pure VWN
Fe  ms = 2.945  ml = 0.072
Pt  ms = 0.237 ml = 0.037

VWN + OP
Fe  ms=2.942, ml=0.115
Pt  ms = 0.232, ml=0.042

L1_0
VWN + OP
Fe  ms=2.859, ml=0.117
Pt  ms = 0.318, ml=0.044

The OP algorithm is usefull, as you will find a lot of examples were pure LDA
or GGA calculations fail to give the order of orbital moments correctly.
Roughly spoken: The problem is that spin polarized calculations assume only a
spin dependent coupling of states neglecting orbital contributions that are
only indirectly present due to spin-orbit coupling. This just does not
describe the problem fully and OP is just one approximation to correct for
that.
However, you should have a clear mind what you compare and how.
Note that under certain conditions, you will not even find the easy axis of
the elemental ferromagnets correctly ( there are pretty lot examples
published), from pure LDA calculations neither.

About the MAEs: Did you check the charge convergence or only the energy
criterium ? In case the first was still bad, you may restart the so far
convereged calculation and check for charge consistence.

Anyway, just to say it in flapsy words: To calculate the MAE from the total
energies means to do the following experiment: Magnetize youre sample along
the hard axis, wait that it switches to the easy direction. The difference in
the temperature times Boltzmann constant gives you the MAE. No one will even
think about doing that experiment.

Ciao
Gerhard

PS.: In my opinion one should play Wien2k and its options (as for other band
structure programs) more like a music instrument, or does someone scratch a
violine with a diamond file and expects nice tune ?